Tuesday 29 January 2013

Unhealthy at this size

Healthy at every size works on the basis that you can be healthy however much you weigh, whatever your BMI and fat percentage.
I firmly believe and agree with that idea.
I also think that I am not healthy at the size I am now.  For me this is not healthy.  I am 29  and I weigh about 6 stone more than would be a "healthy" BMI.
I have personal experience with disordered eating.  And healthy at every size and the wondrous bloggers of the HAES network, such as the worshipful Kate Harding at Shapely prose were the beginning of my journey back to healthy (and sane) 6 odd years ago now.
And now I have developed a pretty good relationship with food.  This is important to me because having grown up with one parent with a serious eating disorder (my father) I know just how terrible an impact this can have on children.  The last thing I want is for my children to grow up with food issues because my I have them.
So I've put in serious work, as the americans might say, on getting through those issues.  And it's paid off.  Which is great, but now I want to start to work on the other half of the equation, I want to get healthy.
It's not that I want to loose weight, I want to be able to run, as much as I can with the physical limitations of a dud ankle and a bad back.  I want to be strong and fit and show my girls that everyone can find pleasure in physical activity.

The reason I hated sport as a kid?
Well for one I wasn't that good at... for two I thought it was something for other people- generally the stupid kids were good at sport, and that was nice for them, but I was smart so I didn't need that.  I was such a condescending teenager!

I don't want my girls to think that way- I want them to take joy in movement.  At the moment it seems like they do- they both love dancing!

So I've been exercising, I'm starting light, with 30 minutes of wii fit every other day.  So I'll revisit this in a month or so- see how my excersise regime is working out!

No comments:

Post a Comment